Symbols are useful to people with no literacy skills, as well as helping those with limited literacy to develop a larger vocabulary.
Different users can cope with widely varying levels of complexity in their symbol systems. The Grid can take the user from very simple communication screens to the more advanced arrangements.
You can set up a grid with just a few cells that speak as soon as they are selected. For example, you could have “yes”, “no”, “I need some help please” and “I want to do something else”.
Moving on from this, you can have cells that contain elements of a sentence, and build sentences to allow more freedom of expression.
You can link together several grids to provide a larger vocabulary divided into topics (this is often referred to as “dynamic screen communication”).
Typically, the first page the user sees will display a number of topics. Selecting a topic leads to a grid with vocabulary specific to that topic.
There are a number of ready made grid sets (sometimes called pre-stored vocabularies) available, designed for different levels of literacy and with different approaches to arranging vocabulary.
Once you have selected a grid set, you can customise it as much as needed, adding to the vocabulary and expanding the topics available. You can also start from scratch and create your own communication system.
Find out more about grid sets.
The Grid 2 is compatible with many types of symbols and photographs.
- Widgit Symbols, an extensive symbol library included with The Grid 2 in most countries
- Mayer-Johnson PCS symbols, a well-known symbol library
- Blissymbolics, an abstract way to represent languages
- SymbolStix, stick men with attitude
- Snaps, a photo alternative to symbol libraries
- Makaton Signs & Symbols,
- See Sense, a small, free picture library included with The Grid 2
- Screen captures, for quickly taking photos from the internet or a digital camera
- Double Picture - easily place pictures side-by-side in a cell
- Picture Editor - for changing colours, combining symbols, and more
Widgit Symbols and SeeSense are included with The Grid 2.
PCS, Blissymbolics, SymbolStix, Makaton and Snaps are paid-for add-ons to The Grid 2.