Starting Blocks is an exciting grid set for introducing computer-aided communication to young children.
Starting Blocks was designed and created by Sally Conner. There are hundreds of grids providing many hours of fun as you progress from very simple interaction through to independent communication.
The targeted activities develop core skills, and a clear 'roadmap' makes it easy to see where to go next - and how far you have come! At every step there are a variety of activities, so you can focus on one skill until it is fully mastered, without the tasks becoming repetitive.
- It is a fun and interactive way to teach children how to use switches or touch screen for a communication aid.
- The main focus of this grid set is interactive PLAY, so that the child only spends 20% of the time with the computer and the other 80% interacting with the people around them.
- Workbooks are provided to guide you through step by step, and help you come up with some fantastic activities to entice young imaginations.
- All activities can be played again and again or easily edited with The Grid 2 software to produce new and very individual pieces.
- The Toy Box, which you can buy as an add-on to the grid set, is to help you get started with using the grids straight away. We have chosen a selection of toys to give you a wide choice of activities to choose from.
Starting Blocks is divided into 3 stages, each of which has activities for developing a different skills:
On Your Marks
- Taking Turns
- Making Choices
- Row/Column Scanning
- Go Step 1
- Go Step 2
- Go Step 3
- Go Step 4
Starting Blocks Toy Box
Starting Blocks is available as a stand-alone product (the grids and the workbooks), or with the Starting Blocks Toy Box. The Toy Box includes lots of toys and equipment to allow you to use Starting Blocks right away.
The Toy Box includes:
- 2 switches (1 blue, 1 yellow)
- JoyCable switch adaptor (for connecting the switches to your computer)
- The Gruffalo book and audio CD
- Doctor's activity kit
- Drawing book and crayons
- Snap-Clap Crocodile and Rubber Duck toys for hide-and-seek activities
- Two mobile phones for communication activities
- ... and much more!
Please note that the exact kit contents may vary depending on the availablility of the individual toys.
Download the Starting Blocks grid set from Online Grids. You must have The Grid 2 installed to use the grid set. Contact your local dealer for a demonstration copy of The Grid 2.
Images from “The Gruffalo” reproduced with kind permission of Julia Donaldson, Axel Scheffler and Macmillan Children’s Books, London, UK.